Advice for children and young people

LoveRespect Website Image

Are you visiting this website, because you are worried about what is happening at home? Has something happened at school.  Are you worried or frightened by arguments and fights at home? Visit LoveRespect for more information.

Are you feeling any of the following:

  • Frightened
  • Worried
  • Angry
  • Sad
  • That it’s your fault?

Talking to someone can really help and there is lots of online and real world help to access. Perhaps you can't talk to your mates or maybe there's no one at home you trust, but there are people who want to help. 

Services are available to help, call our Safe to Talk Helpline on 0800 111 4998. You could also call ChildLine on 0800 1111 or your social worker can refer you to our specialist local service.

You can contact Childline about anything. Whatever your worry, it's better out than in. They are there to support you and help you find ways to cope.

There are lots of different ways to get in touch with us. And you can also get help from other young people through our site.

More online resources

Locally we have Coventry Youth Partnership  who act as a central hub to co-ordinate, facilitate and support deliverers of young people’s services in the city.

What is domestic abuse?

Click here to access a dedicated site (LoveRespect)  for young people, which aims to help support young women around the issue of abuse in relationsips.

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger ring 999.



What is a healthy relationship?

  • Are you feeling worried about the way your boyfriend or girlfriend is treating you?
  • Are they violent towards you, or do they put you down, call you names and tell you what you can or can’t do?

For more information about what a healthy relationship is as well as information on consent, harrassment and other areas you may be concerned about visit: Disrespect NoBody

Your relationship will be very important to you, but you need to think about how you want to be treated. Do you want to spend time with someone who thinks it’s OK to hurt you, call you names, put you down and tell you what to do? You have a right to enjoy a relationship that is caring and safe. Unfortunately, lots of young people experience some kind of hurt from their boyfriends or girlfriends.

If you are worried about the way you are being treated it’s important to talk to someone about it. Perhaps there is an adult you can trust, such as a family member, a teacher, a youth worker or a neighbour, who you can talk confidentially to about what’s happening. If you don’t feel there is anyone you know that you can talk to, you could contact Childline on 0800 1111 and speak to someone there.

If you or someone you know are in immediate danger, call 999.

If you would like to talk to someone, call Childline on 0800 1111.

It is illegal for someone to force one person to marry another in the UK. 

This includes:

  • taking someone overseas to force them to marry (whether or not the forced marriage takes place)
  • marrying someone who lacks the mental capacity to consent to the marriage (whether they are pressured to or not)

If your family is trying to make you marry someone who you don’t want to marry this is called forced marriage and it is a type of domestic violence and abuse. Your family may try to make you marry the person using physical, mental or emotional pressure and violence against you.

There is a difference between a forced and an arranged marriage. In arranged marriages the families of both parties take a leading role in arranging the marriage, but the choice of whether or not to accept the arrangement remains with you.

Parents who force their children to marry often justify their behaviour as protecting their children, building stronger families and preserving cultural or religious traditions. They do not see anything wrong in their actions. However forced marriage cannot be justified on religious grounds.

You may find it extremely difficult to speak out about your family members if they are trying to force you to marry, as you may be worried about being rejected by your family or community. However you have a right to choose who you want to marry. If you are worried about forced marriage then talking to someone can help.

Need help? It is also possible for victims or those at risk to apply for a Forced Marriage Protection Order (FMPO). As a civil law measure, an application for a FMPO would be made in the family court. Up-to-date guidance about forced marriage from the government. If you are in immediate danger then you should call 999. To talk to someone and get advice please contact the Safe to Talk Helpline on 0800 111 4998