Victims and survivors of domestic abuse

Help and support if you've been sexually abused

Sexual Abuse 

Sexual abuse is sexual behavior or a sexual act forced upon a woman, man or child without their consent. Sexual abuse includes abuse of a woman, man or child by a man, woman or child. Sexual abuse may form part of an abusive relationship and be used alongside other types of abuse.

  • Having sex without someone without their consent is rape. It doesn't matter if you are married- if you didn't consent to having sex on that occassion, then it's rape.
  • Sexual assault or violence can take many forms, and can affect anyone at any time and place.
  • More often than not, the rapist or assailant is known to their victim, and may be their partner or spouse.
  • The Police have specially trained officers to respond to sexual violence and support victims throughout the criminal justice process (if that is how you wish to proceed).
  • You can report rape or sexual assualt/abuse to the Police anonymously, or on behalf of someone else.
  • Forensic evidence can still be gathered up to 7 days after a rape, although the sooner it is retrieved, the better chance of securing evidence against the offender.

The NHS can provide a range of sexual health services following a rape or sexual assault, including emergency contraception, HIV prevention, and treatment for infections or injuries. Our local centre is based at George Eliot Hospital and is known as the Blue Sky Centre. If you are a victim of seuxal abuse in Coventry then help is available. If the incident has happened very recently (within the past 24 hours) then forensic evidence gathering may be possible. You can contact either the Police directly or the Blue Sky Centre. The Blue Sky Centre is a modern facility specially equipped to accommodate anyone who has experienced a sexual assult or rape. Please visit their webiste for more information on the services available and how to contact them. No-one can force you to go through the criminal justice process, but evidence can be gathered and securely stored, should you change your mind further down the line. The Blue Sky Centre can help you come to the right decision without pressure.

If you don’t want to report to the Police, you can still be supported by specialist services including by an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA). The ISVA service in Coventry is provided by Coventry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre (CRASAC). It offers free and confidential  support and information to anyone from the age of 5 years old who has been affected by sexual violence, no matter when or how it happened. Support is also available to parents, partners, supporters and professionals. The incident may have happened recently or many years ago, CRASAC can still help.

People who have been raped or sexually abused have choices about what happens to them every step of the way once they have made initial contact with the Police, NHS, or third sector organisations. You will not be forced to go to court if you report an incident.