Children and young people

What if I am being hurt by my boyfriend or girlfriend?

What is a healthy relationship?

  • Are you feeling worried about the way your boyfriend or girlfriend is treating you?
  • Are they violent towards you, or do they put you down, call you names and tell you what you can or can’t do?

For more information about what a healthy relationship is as well as information on consent, harrassment and other areas you may be concerned about visit: Disrespect NoBody

Your relationship will be very important to you, but you need to think about how you want to be treated. Do you want to spend time with someone who thinks it’s OK to hurt you, call you names, put you down and tell you what to do? You have a right to enjoy a relationship that is caring and safe. Unfortunately, lots of young people experience some kind of hurt from their boyfriends or girlfriends.

If you are worried about the way you are being treated it’s important to talk to someone about it. Perhaps there is an adult you can trust, such as a family member, a teacher, a youth worker or a neighbour, who you can talk confidentially to about what’s happening. If you don’t feel there is anyone you know that you can talk to, you could contact Childline on 0800 1111 and speak to someone there.

If you or someone you know are in immediate danger, call 999.

If you would like to talk to someone, call Childline on 0800 1111.